Girls Season 4 Premiere



I have watched Girls for a couple of years now and it was something that didn't strike me straight away if I'm honest. I had to rewatch the pilot a couple of times to get into the show but it's definitely a grower and I wouldn't miss an episode now. Season 4 debuted last night so I wanted to share a few thoughts on it!

I was pretty excited for the premiere as it is one of my favourite shows but I feel like I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable and I am happy that it's back but the premiere lacked something. I feel like nothing really happened in the episode but maybe my expectations were too high. I also spent the duration of the episode trying to back track on what happened in the previous season (I probably should of rewatched the season 3 finale) as the storylines were a  little confusing. However, It was very clever how each character was reintroduced to the audience one by one over the course of the episode but by the time this process was over, the episode was pretty much done.  I feel like it was setting the viewers up for something bigger so I can excuse the lack of action!

The premiere episode also featured Natasha Lyonne's appearance (Nicky Nichols from OITNB) which I have been looking forward to since it was first announced. However, she had a very small part and only appeared in one scene which was a little disappointing as I think she is great. Once again I think my expectations were too high.

On a more positive note, there was a few funny moments with various characters that made me laugh. I particularly liked Shoshanna's trauma over both of her parents being called Mel and it being the worst and first thing that has ever happened to her. I thought the Jazz Brunch scene was especially good with the characters meeting to watch Marnie's performance. I really enjoyed reconnecting with the characters again as they may be a strange bunch but the majority of them are very lovable and relatable.

I'm looking forward to the coming season of Girls and hope it builds on the premiere episode. I am also delighted that the new episodes are airing one day after the US now as last year, it was a whole week behind! (That is a long time for someone with no patience).

Did you watch the Girls season premiere? What did you think of it?




No comments