Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt



Hello there everyone and a Happy Mother's Day for all of you in the UK! I'm back today to share my thoughts on the new Netflix Original 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'. I actually watched the whole season last weekend as it wasn't very long at 13 episodes. I love how Netflix upload all of their new shows by the season so you can continue watching for hours if you are loving the show. This concept however, encourages you to binge watch so quickly that you need to wait a year for new episodes (I'm looking at you OITNB).

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is based around a young woman who is released from an underground bunker where she has spent the last fifteen years. She was brainwashed along with a few other women by a priest (hilariously played by Jon Hamm) into thinking the apocalypse has happened. Kimmy decides to embark on her new life in New York City instead of returning back to her home town. She finds herself a job as a nanny for an incredibly rich family and a hilarious roommate who is desperate to make it onto Broadway.

What I truly loved about this show was Kimmy's unintentional ignorance to almost everything around her. There is a brilliant scene where her employer Jacqueline teaches how to take a selfie and she later picks up an iPhone with amazement at how far 'Macintosh' has come. I'm not too familiar with Ellie Kemper as I only really knew her as 'the one who was obsessed with Disney in Bridesmaids' but she is hilarious in her portrayal as Kimmy Schmidt. Her naivety and ignorance to the last fifteen years of developing technology is hilarious and very believable.

I also loved Tituss Burgess' performance as Kimmy's roommate Titus Andromedon. He is hilarious and a diva like you wouldn't believe. Members of the supporting cast are also good, it was a fairly strong ensemble in my opinion.

I would highly recommend Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt if you are looking for a quick binge watch. It is very light hearted and I can guarantee it will give you a good laugh. I would say though that it was a little silly in places and I was slightly underwhelmed by the season finale. I am excited however to see what this bunch of crazy characters get up to in Season 2. On a final note, the theme song is probably one of the catchiest TV theme's I've ever heard. Just listen to it once and you'll know what I mean!

Have you watched the show already? If so, what did you think of it?




No comments