Review: Amazon Fire Stick


A slightly different post today, I wanted to share some thoughts on a recent purchase of mine - the Amazon Fire TV Stick. I only purchased this item as it was on special offer on Amazon about a month ago for £25 instead of £35. It was most definitely worth the money!

The Amazon Fire TV Stick allows you to stream tonnes of content onto any TV all from a tiny USB. This product is not restricted to video content, you can also play games, view photos and listen to music! It works from a HDMI connection and comes with a handy little extender if it just doesn't quite reach your TV. I purchased this thinking my HDMI connection easily accessible at the side without realising it was actually at the back of my wall mounted TV, yes big blunder on my part... With a little help of yet ANOTHER extender from Amazon, I managed to getting the Fire stick up and running!


Pros 

- We have two PS3's in our house that we primarily use one for streaming Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube etc and we often plug laptops into many TV's in the house to watch content via HDMI so this was a little bit of an unnecessary purchase for me BUT the key selling point of this product I think is it's portability. I primarily use it in my bedroom where I don't have any means to stream Netflix without leaving my bed as it comes with a little handy remote to control the device by! However, I recently went away for a few days with my friend and we managed to use it to watch Netflix in our hotel room. It worked extremely well and we enjoyed two nights of binge watching Orphan Black. I definitely recommend this product just solely for use when your travelling as it provided such a vast choice of entertainment that we did not even have to leave the hotel for!

- It's absolutely value for money as the cost completely outweighs buying a games console etc for a similar purpose, you obviously don't get all their features but our PS3's are very rarely used for playing games!

- It's literally a plug and play device, it could not be any more easy to set up


Cons

- Each streaming service can be downloaded as an app to add to your Fire Stick but the store does not offer 4 on Demand which is a little bit of a let down for an excellent product.

- I find the interface a little messy and it can be difficult to navigate what you are looking for. A lot of the content is directly from Amazon, so if you don't have their Instant Video service you won't be able to use it to it's full advantage

Have you purchased the Amazon Fire TV Stick? What do you think of it?


Dyan x

No comments